Sunday, January 11, 2009

Angel's Home from the Hospital


We brought Angel home late Thursday afternoon. She had a quiet night. I think she felt pretty rotten and she was still trying to shake off all the medication and sedation she'd been under.

She has a huge and scary looking incision on her neck. It's gotta be over 6 inches long! And there's lots of swelling and bruising so it looks wicked painful. Here's her picture. Poor little thing!

I used a vacation day to stay home with her on Friday. I have to feed her small gobs of canned food by hand every hour or so for the first few days to be sure she keeps the food down. She definitely has an appetite so that's a very good sign.

From here on I need to work her up to three cans of food a day and keep an eye out for things like lethargy, coughing, loss of appetite, which could be signs of the biggest risk from here on: pneumonia. You gotta know that ever time she clears her throat I'm freaking out!!
Sunday update...
She seems to be feeling better, but she's doing a little coughing and trying to clear her throat. It's hard to imagine having half your larynx permanently open.
She's eating well and she's had some water, but not much. I'm still freaking out every time she coughs or hacks.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I have never had a dog with this surgery but I have had a couple of horses that had it done. With them, the coughing is good... clearing drainage out!!! She looks very healthy otherwise so I am sure she will be ok!! Miss seing you but should see you at Austin Marathon I hope!! ps. I always wish I had a cookie!!!

Priscilla said...

Ahh!! I hope she feels better! Me and my boyfriend just took in a stray, he's a white lab. He has severe heartworms and can't leave the house for a month :( Labs are the best!! Hope she has a speedy recovery!!

MW said...

no post since Jan 11.
not even a photo of a tomato.

this blog needs love.