Thursday, August 21, 2008

Looking Good - Even on the Second Pass

This morning Crazy Legs Kevin (Mr. Sub-2:50) passed me about five miles into the run. I had started several minutes ahead of everyone else because I think it’s better to get passed by everybody than to get dropped at the outset. There’s a better chance for a little friendly heckling and socializing. And I can’t bring myself to meet up with the 5:00 a.m. group. It’s too much pressure to get myself out the door by 4:40 a.m. It’s out of the question.

Kevin said a quick hello as he went by, his legs doing that propeller action on his back kick. And off he went.

By now I had expected the shirtless “fasties,” as Priscilla calls them, to catch me. Ramon came by, but he was all alone.

I ambled along through Delwood, crossed over to Hyde Park, through Brykerwoods, across MoPac and into Tarrytown still all by myself. Having seen Ken and his gang make up miles on me time and again, I was feeling mighty surprised that I’d stayed out in front of them this long.

Chris K. caught up with me along Lake Austin Boulevard. We chatted for a moment. He told me that the fasties were doing the 16-mile loop. Still glad I’d stayed out in front of them, I was certain they’d be up on me momentarily as I neared the end of my 14-miler.

At the Rock I chatted with Julia and Katie. I headed out across the bridge to Barton Springs Pool and along comes…guess who? Crazy Legs Kevin! He remarked that he was passing me a second time. So, he’d made up at least two miles on me – probably three – since I’d first seen him five miles into the run. As I processed this notion with some frustration with myself and admiration for Kevin, I shouted to him, now already several yards out in front of me, “But, Kevin, do I still look good?” He looked back with a grin and gave me a nod and a chuckle. He may have even verbalized a “yes.” Whatever. I’ll take it and run.

Where were the fasties? Lost, I understand. A little pack of guys in black shorts and no shirts scrambling around the ‘hoods of central and west Austin. If found, point them south to the pool.

No comments: