Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunk in a Funk

…but I’m climbing my way out. I’m going to blame hormones because it’s easy, and just leave it at that.

The funk sunk me into a wicked running slump! I’ve been in slumps like this before. I’m hoping this one is just a multi-day slump and not a multi-week or multi-month slump. Again, I’m going to blame hormones because it’s easy.

August was a great running month, with 60-plus-mile weeks up until the Zilker Relays. Since the relay and the long run the day after, which in reality was a very short long run – a very short and torturous long run, the funk has been a lead weight with a firm grip on each heel. It did let go for the progressive pace run on the 2nd and for the Scenic Hill loops on the 4th. Come to think of it, except for some stomach issues on the 20-miler on the 6th, I managed to shake loose of it that morning, too, and had rather a pleasant run. But it grabbed on tight starting on Monday and even a pep talk from my coach hasn’t pried it off.

Hurricane Ike’s messing with me now. I was glad to read Julia’s post on the forum, that Ike better step up because she was planning to spend her day on the couch listening to the rain on the roof. That wouldn’t quite be my plan, but I’ve been secretly hoping that Ike might give me a legitimate excuse to stay off the roads Saturday morning. In that case, I can quit blaming the hormones.

No comments: